Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Airports are just like Night Clubs

By Tariq Lee

When catching an early flight out of Oklahoma City one would expect the security line to be short and move fast, definitely wrong. After waking up late at about 4:45 a.m., my cousin drove me to the airport that is 30 minutes from Choctaw, Okla., a small city 20 minutes outside of Oklahoma City where I will be interning this summer. We arrive at the airport at 5:36 and my flight departs 6:28 so I’m thinking I’ll slide through check-in and security quickly and make it to my gate around 6:15. When I walk into the airport I see that the line was twice as long as the line at Love Nightclub during Howard Homecoming weekend in Washington, D.C so I just knew I was going to miss this flight. The skycap approaches me after I check in, the time now being 5:50, and he asks, “What time does your flight leave?” I tell him the time and he tells me that he doubts I make it through that line fast enough to make the flight so I begin to worry because Ms. Sandy Rosenbush is supposed to be picking me up around 11 am in Tampa. The skycap then says the words that every Washington, DC native wants to hear, “If you give me ten bucks I can get you to the front of the line.” I had to take this opportunity because missing this flight would have all types of consequences, also being a DC kid ten bucks is a sweet deal to get into the front of any club line. Once we crossed security I slipped the guy ten bucks and at 5:58 I was sitting in front of my gate awaiting boarding for my flight.

1 comment:

  1. Canada Night Clubs :iCLUBWORLD.com Member Planning your Nightlife experience starts with figuring exactly which clubs will appeal to you and your friend's specific tastes

    ReplyDelete