Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

A unique opportunity

\By Caron J. Phillips

Walking into the door, I instantly became the most “unique” member of SJI’s 2011 class. For one, I’m the tallest at 6’4”. I’m the oldest, at age 27 with two degrees. And I’m already two weeks into my internship at The Salt Lake Tribune.

While that entire last paragraph doesn’t make me any better or worse than the rest of my ten colleagues, I thought it does make for a nice anecdotal introduction. “The Man” that I currently work for is one of the managing editors at the Tribune and the newly elected president of APSE, Michael Anastasi. So yes, my boss is “The Man”, in a positive “I’m happy I work for him kind of way”. Not like the ones in the old 70s blaxploitation films.

(Shout out to Shaft and Sho-Nuff.)

Over the past few weeks my life has been in a blur. During that span, I graduated from graduate school, moved to Utah, worked 70 hours in my first week and coming to St, Petersburg, Fla. for the boot camp.

I just want to remind my colleagues and myself that we’re all excited, sleepy, and hot. But we should all realize and remember that we’re here for a reason, so as they would say in those old 70s movies; Lets Get Funky Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment