Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Notebook

I love reporters’ notebooks. They make me feel like a real journalist. I like the way they fit in my back pocket and seem just big enough to keep a basketball running score. I normally keep all my notebooks so that, one day far in the future, I can look back and reminisce about everyone I’ve interviewed. I came to SJI with a brand-new red pocket notebook. At Detroit Mercy, I usually go through one per semester. I’ve only been at SJI for a week, and my red notebook is nearly full. I’ve written about every bit of advice I’ve received from all of our speakers and instructors. To be honest, this week has gone by in a blur. I don’t remember details from a lot of things, but I have those details in my notebook. I know this is one of the most important weeks of my journalism career, but I don’t think the full impact of what I learned will hit me until I go through my notebook. Its contents will help shape and guide my career for the foreseeable future. I love my reporters’ notebooks, but I don’ think I’ve ever had one so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment