Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Just Keep Shooting--and Writing

In basketball, it’s often said that if a player’s shot isn’t falling, the player needs to “just keep shooting.” I’ll never play a second of professional basketball, but this week at SJI has taught me the meaning of that phrase more than any NBA Finals game could. As an aspiring journalist, I want every piece of my work to be worthy of a Pulitzer. When I look at an article printed with a mistake or omission, I become angry with myself. David Squires, urban affairs columnist for the Daily Press, told our class today that we shouldn’t do that. Instead of basketball, Squires used a baseball analogy, saying that “sometimes you have hits and misses but you have to keep swinging through the slumps.” I’d love to work for a daily newspaper someday. That would mean that, even if I have a not-so-great article, I could redeem myself the very next day. That thought makes the pressures of deadline writing less scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment