Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Irby talks diversity

Although society has come a long way with acceptance of differences and the attempt to diversify the workplace, we still have a long way to go. Today we had a groundbreaking seminar that really got everyone thinking with Kenny Irby, Senior Faculty/Visual Journalism & Diversity Programs, speaking about the conditions of difference, how that breaks barriers in the workplace and produces better quality and variety of writing. We worked in groups where we shared which of the 12 conditions we most felt isolated by. From there, my peers and myself shared stories about gender, age, lifestyle and geography that opened my eyes to plights other than my own. For all of us, it was very rewarding. Two of my favorite quotes of Irby's were: "You're all in the business of narrative construction to be distinct. You have to break away from the pack." "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity." It would be interesting to have conversations like these in the workplace, and I am hoping to use what I have learned here at my internship. The most productivity comes from people who have different perspectives, different backgrounds, etc. I learned this by co-facilitating Campus Conversations on Race at Emerson College. You can be accepting and open, but once you actually listen to the ideas and perspectives of others, better ideas emerge, a higher quality of work results and you develop as a person. This is so important to workplace communication, and I’m fortunate to have chipped into that subject here.

No comments:

Post a Comment