Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Until then...

Right about this time of the program, it gets tough. It's not because of the sports checks or the game stories on deadline or the 13- or 14-hour days. After seven days of class, that's the easy part. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means perfect. But I've become accustomed to those and have made great strides in those areas up until this point. What's so hard, though, is knowing that in a few days, I won't be here anymore. I'll be leaving St. Petersburg and the people I now have the privilege of calling family--people, like Greg Lee, Leon Carter, Sandy Rosenbush and my classmates, who care about me the most in this industry. These are people who I know genuinely want to see me succeed and will cheer for me as I attempt to make my mark in sports journalism. So with one day left, I won't say goodbye. Instead, I'll say until then, because I know I'll see Mr. Carter, Ms. Rosenbush, Mr. Lee and my SJI crew again — someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment