Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Delayed lunch, great conversation

I missed lunch today. Well, I thought I did because there was no food left on the table when I got to it. Thank you Sandy for going back to the store and getting more food; I was starving. I missed lunch because I had a brief opportunity to speak to Michael Anastasi, Managing Editor/ Sports, Features, Copy Desk and Photography at The Salt Lake Tribune. I wanted to speak to him because he was going to deliver a presentation on management. We talked about his time in Los Angeles, my hometown, and he told me he knew my publisher at my school’s newspaper because he used to work with her at the Los Angeles Daily News. I have a strong interest in going into management and I wanted to see what he could tell me before he was to speak to the class. I spoke to him about my experience as a copy editor, a position I would like to pursue. What I liked most about his presentation, other than all the lessons, was when he said that he gets fired up when he gets a room full of people together to help them grow and achieve different things. Anastasi said that’s the heart of the editor and it really spoke to me because I worked as a copy editor and it’s something I enjoyed and love doing. I am aware that my name wouldn’t be in the newspaper, but I would feel accomplished that I am sharp enough to improve stories and get them done for the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment