Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Essential theories learned

Today’s lectures by Kenny Irby, Senior Faculty / Visual Journalism and Diversity Programs at Poynter, made me reflect on a couple courses I had as an undergrad. These classes where about diversity and gender issues in the media. I learned a great deal from these courses, but what struck me today was the red wheel called “Conditions of Difference” that Irby presented. This wheel talked about the factors that shape and mold the human experience. I had seen a similar diagram put together by a professor, and it depicted specifically what shapes the person one is. For example, the middle bubble was a person and everything that came out of it were the influences, which included anything from parents, friends, teachers, religion--even pediatricians. This made me reflect on the on the different theories that reflect one’s perception of the world such as the self-fulfilling prophecy (which Irby mentioned), social cognitive theory and reflection hypothesis and symbolic annihilation. These theories I learned in class helped me understand how to deconstruct anything that’s out there and really helped me understand what Irby talked about today. No two people see something the same way and it’s due to what one brings to the situation, and this really played a factor in what I learned from Irby. There will be times when I will have to make decisions based on my conditions of difference and I will be able to do that if I am thoroughly informed with the guidelines set out wherever I go in journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment