Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The times they are a changin'

I have a hard time letting go of newspapers. No matter how many times I've heard about their imminent downfall, I try not to believe it. For me, the perfect morning is a hard copy of a newspaper, a cup of coffee and a beam of sunshine. I do the crossword. I read the classifieds. I check scores. The newspaper is always interesting. Jim Jenks spoke with us today. He's vice president and executive producer of MLB Advanced Media. His lecture was all about the business side of media. In the end, journalism isn't really what it's all about-- the bottom line is.
"We are looking at an archaic mindset," he said of the way newspapers produce and deliver news.
I know, I know. But my computer will never have the same feel as having that newspaper between my fingers. I'll make every attempt to make myself marketable as a journalist, including my writing and multimedia for the web. But at home, I'll supplement my online reading with the newspaper, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment