Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Being a backpack journalist

Today was one of the most interactive days we've had at SJI. We heard from Jim Jenks, vice president/ executive producer at MLB Advanced Media; Victoria Lim, reporter at Bright House Sports Network; and Al Tompkins from Poynter. I learned a great deal from these speakers and it was easier to learn because we participated in the sessions. The session that struck me the most was Lim's because I have some background in broadcast journalism. She talked about multi-platform reporting and what one can do to create stories that would fit in several places, essentially the craft of a backpack journalist. These days, a journalist has to know how to write, photograph and record. There is video, audio, slideshows, sidebars, graphics, you name it. The session helped us think more outside the box and see that there are countless things one can do with a story idea. I was really interested in this because one of the areas I may pursue is broadcast writing. I interned at a news station in Los Angeles the past year and had the opportunity to produce some content on the station's website. A lot of the things Lim talked about were concepts I dealt with at the station. I asked Lim for some advice about going into broadcast and she told me it was a good idea because it makes you more marketable. One thing for sure: It's great to have options.

No comments:

Post a Comment