Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Read 3x, Write 3x, Edit 3x

After today, I have a completely different view of the process of editing. I have always considered myself a competent and skilled editor, but Dave Squires, columnist and blogger for the Daily Press in Newport News, Va., took me to school. After delivering his spiel and after lunch (the burgers were good), Squires gave us an editing exercise. Man was it hard! Of course, I did not figure this out until we started correcting the papers. The exercise included several sentences that needed proofreading. I thought I did really well, but the results had me doubting my editing skills. I am aware that this is a process and the session really opened my eyes to pay attention to more detail and literally look at every word on a story.
READ, READ, READ!
WRITE, WRITE, WRITE!
EDIT, EDIT, EDIT!
I'm taking these words to heart because editing is one of the positions I am greatly interested in and I want to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment