Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Journey to Poynter

By Chris Torres

The longest drive of my life. Didn’t think I’d ever have to repeat that again until I had a family one day and have to take them to Disney World. Nevertheless, the 14 and a half hour drive was long yet oddly refreshing at the same time. When I drive my mind wanders all over the place. I guess it’s a good thing because it takes my mind off the stiffness I get which I am reminded of everytime I step out of the car whenever I make a stop for gas or food. Now that I’m here in St. Pete, I can sit back appreciate everything that has happened and will happen to me over the next few months. Motivation is nothing. I think I have more than enough. From seeing the happiness of my family at graduation, to the Sallie Mae loan statements in the mail two days later, to the drive here, I wake up every morning saying it’s go time in my mind. Before I got here, I briefly chatted with SJI 2010 alum and fellow Hampton alum Shemar Woods at graduation on what I was going to experience this week in St. Pete. He told me about the 14+ hour days and everything that comes along with it. I wasn’t surprised, being that he was in this program last year. I noticed how hard he works and how talented he is. Today he is a summer intern at The Washington Post. Anyway, I’ll keep this first post short and sweet. I’m looking forward to all the sports checks (since I’ve done fairly well on them so far) and everything Mr. Carter has to offer. I’m sure he’ll live up to his hype. Let’s have some fun! (By that I mean 95% work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment