Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Monday, June 6, 2011

We All Bleed Red

After long hours and limited sleep, the 2011 SJI Class was offered a great bit of comforting by Malcolm Moran. The Knight Chair for Sports Journalism and Society at Penn State informed us that we (sports writers) all feel like we "suck" at times after posting a game story. He’s been there, I’ve definitely been there, and every writer who’s ever felt the drops of sweat accumulating on his or her forehead while trying to log a story on deadline has been there, too. Knowing that even the pros feel the same way I do at times nixed all my thoughts of “why am I the only one dealing with deadline nervousness.” Mr. Moran’s words were exactly what I needed and I’ll keep them in mind as I progress in my career. He even gave an anecdote of how he once told a frustrated colleague, “Hey, at least we were here.” And that simple phrase is now my Rock of Gibraltar.

No comments:

Post a Comment