Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Closing time

Not to say that I’ve never been challenged, but this week has been the most stressful and most intense week I think I’ve ever experienced. I know it’s only been a week, but I feel like I’ve really learned a lot here and have a better sense of the answer to my question. I came here trying to figure out if sports journalism was for me. I can’t give a direct answer as to exactly what I want to do or what sport I want to cover, but I can say that I am still confident that I can be an exceptional journalist. This program has made me question my abilities, has shaken up my confidence and has given me a sturdy backbone and the tools to becoming a better writer and researcher, and simply a much more well-rounded professional. I still have a lot to learn and need a lot more practice, but I know that leaving this program, I have the right mindset to be successful. I’ve learned that there are people like me, who are different, who are ambitious, who do struggle, and yet, can still be successful. The speakers and students have been so influential in their discussions about minorities in journalism, journalism being a business, paving your path into a job, technological advances, what to expect from your editors, etc. But we're not done yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment