Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Y'all talking about PRACTICE?

My heart was racing, hands trembling, stomach churning. And it certainly didn't help to hear Mr. Carter scream "PRINT!" a few inches from my ear. Thank you for taking about ten years off of my life. But that was earlier in the week. Last night, as we covered our final game on deadline, I found myself much calmer and more composed. The repetition and practice of writing the deadline in such a high-pressure atmosphere, though disastrous for my future health, has allowed me to become accustomed to writing and reporting in such an environment, which I know will be an invaluable skill as I continue my work as a sports journalist. And when I am writing on a quickly approaching deadline in the future, I'll just pretend to hear Mr. Carter scream behind my chair. Something tells me I won't miss a deadline anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment