Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Editors

Michael Anastasi's talk about becoming an editor got me thinking about the good and bad editors I've had since I started writing. Anastasi mentioned that often the best reporters become editors. In my experience, some of those former reporters aren't quite as skilled at editing, mentoring and guiding the reporters they supervise. But, some are, as was the case with the most influential editor in my young career. In college, the editor who had the greatest impact on my work was another student, Matt Forman. He was sports editor at the Daily Northwestern, and went on to become editor-in-chief, and for good reason. Matt was patient. He'd explain, with great care, the ins and outs of anything we weren't completely familiar with. He provided the best constructive criticism-- it was never personal, always business, and always helpful. I learned more from writing for Matt than I could have ever gathered from a lecture or Power Point. Another more recent editor, Ryan Huff, had an impact on my work. Ryan was an ace when it came to AP Style, and being around him helped me sharpen my own skills. He trusted my instincts with stories, and always give me stories that challenged me, including some that ended up making it on the front page. He was cognizant of my abilities, and because of that, he offered me opportunities that many editors wouldn't give to a lowly intern. Anastasi's experience as a 21-year-old sports editor at the Davis Enterprise sound intimidating. I'm just 20 now, and I can't imagine heading a department a year from now. He said working at a smaller paper as editor was a better experience, for him, than starting as a bottom-of-the-pack reporter at a large paper. His tips for becoming an editor: one, always say yes. Editors always have more stories to be written than reporters and will be grateful for your help. Two, support the management in its goals. They'll appreciate having you on board. Three, take management classes that will teach you the skills you don't learn in j-school. It's okay to admit that there are things you don't know that you need to be able to manage/edit well. Four, learn the ways of copy editing. Not only will it help you rise in the ranks, but it will help your writing immensely.


No comments:

Post a Comment