Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Art of the Interview

David Squires' advice about interviewing is something I've been told along the way in my schooling as a journalist. Find a commonality with your subject, because they're more likely to open up if they can relate to you. Talk with them in their element, have a conversation, approach each interview differently, don't take notes, etc.
I find that interviewing skills are probably the most important to master, and yet the most challenging. Usually, I conduct my first interview of the day with ease. I don't stutter, the questions flow from my brain to my mouth easily and I can tell the subject knows I'm confident. Then it seems like from that first interview forward, I'm hit or miss. Right now one of the skills I'm trying to focus on is improving my demeanor when speaking with both sources and people in general. Some people have a gift of making you feel comfortable the minute you start speaking with them. They're clearly in control of the conversation, but they don't act like they know everything. They're purely, genuinely inquisitive about the facets of your life. I hope to become one of those interviewers at some point in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment