Class of 2011

Class of 2011
The 19th Class of the Sports Journalism Institute outside of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. From back left: Tariq Lee, Ignacio Marquez, Chaunte'l Powell, Craig Malveaux, Patricia Lee, Liz Torres, Jay Lee. (Seated from left to right): Sarah Kuta, Chris Torres, Michael Martinez and Carron Phillips.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Maybe Management

Our first speaker of the week, soon-to-be APSE president Michael Anastasi, talked about a career in sports journalism management. The talk resonated with me because, to be honest, it’s something I haven’t thought much about. Part of the reason I love sports writing is the chance for people to see my work. I love the idea of random people turning to the sports page and reading what I wrote. It’s a bit egotistical, but it’s how I feel regardless. In order for people to see my work, I figured I’d have to be a beat reporter or a columnist. My dream job is to become the beat reporter for the Detroit Pistons. If I was in management as a sports editor, I wouldn’t get to cover the team on a day-to-day basis or be involved in all the excitement of deadline. Or so I thought. Anastasi said those in management are still involved in all the “glamour” work. “You do everything,” he said. “It’s invaluable as anything.” In addition, he pointed out sports editors get paid better. Another common misconception is that one has to work their way up to becoming an editor. Anastasi said that’s also wrong, as he was named sports editor of the Davis Enterprise at the age of 21. I’ve been an editor in some form at Detroit Mercy since my freshman year. Thinking back on my time, I realize I do enjoy the management role and, maybe, would consider it as a career path. It would mean I may not have my byline in each day’s paper, but at least the number on my check might be a little larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment